Do you own a longchamp? Are you a baghag? No? Or are you in denial? lol. Anyway, baghag or not there's a different happiness that a bag brings to a woman. I can attest to this one. Is it just me or there are a lot of girls like me who's going head over heels over longchamp? In a mall bathroom alone you'll be surprise that there are about 2-3 girls who carries a longchamp. Don't believe me? Try going to Rockwell Powerplant. lol again! Have you ever wonder if these are authentic or not? I did and I learned it the hard way. Before LePliage/Planètes took hype in Manila, I seriously wanted to get one. But heck on the price tag it carries, yeah for some its cheap but for me its a lot to pay for a bag! So my frugal self bought a fake longchamp in greenhills (yeah dumb). I paid about Php400 for it if I remember it right. I thought this would already satisfy my salivating self and not lust for longchamp anymore. But boy was I wrong! I did not stop salivating over the online photos of longchamp--this time real one. I kept on coming back at Rustan's just to take a look of their stocks. Yeah I was sick with frustration. I want to have one. Since I still don't want to pay a large amount of money, I settled with a navy cabas le pliage (cabas is the one that does not have zipper).
That was the end of it. My new and original le pliage made me happy. I thought I would not need another longchamp for next X number of years. But boy yeah I was wrong again! My good friend Lee went to HK last year and was generous enough to be my personal shopper. It was a hard choice between the Special Edition Great Wall of China Le Pliage and the Raisin Planètes. I choose to go for the Planètes since I already have a Le Pliage.
Now enough with my LC drama and to the main point. If you want to buy longchamp online here are some tips on authenticating them:
Longchamp is a French luxury brand. Jean Cassegrain founded the brand 60 years ago. Its previous line of work is manufacturing leather covering for pipes. The most popular longchamp line now are the Le Pliage and the Planètes, both made of vinyl and leather. The difference is that Le Pliage is foldable while the Planètes is not. Though Planètes uses a more thicker material than the other one.
- It comes with the original paper bag and care card.
- The care card shows cleaning guidelines for your longchamp.
- The longchamp logo should be located directly above the snap. The logo of the fake one is usually not centered. It should be embossed and its outline should be engraved on the leather. Look at the back of the flap to see the engraving of the logo. The button should say "Longchamp 1948" and also has the longchamp logo inside the circle.
- The inner side of the snap button should say ORIGINAL, PRYM, 6/4B.
- The zipper must have the engraved YKK.
- The zipper pull varies from one model to another. This is for the Planètes long handle.
- The inner pocket is on the front but this varies from model to model. Most of the special edition LePliage/Planètes have the inner pocket at the back.
- The back should also have an engraving of the correct spelling of LONGCHAMP and the model of the bag (Sorry forgot to take photo).
- The inner snap has a transparent plastic disc.
- It should have a tag inside. Authentic longchamps are either MADE IN FRANCE, MADE IN TUNISIA or MADE IN CHINA. The series of numbers on the fifth line is the style number. There is also a care instruction on the last line.
- The lining inside are cleanly sewn unlike with the fake ones.
- Lastly, try to visit Rustan's (if you're planning to buy online) and take a look on the original LePliage/Planetes and notice its material because its far from the fake one. From this you'll easily spot a fake one. You'll also notice that the leather for the handles are thinner than the fake one.
Hope I help you with this one:).
*All the infos above are based on my personal experience and through research. You may visit the longchamp website for their latest collection.